Authorities say firefighters in a far western Tennessee city let a mobile home burn down because the owner didn’t pay a $75 yearly fee for fire protection.
Jeff Vowell, city manager of South Fulton, told the Union City Daily Messenger that the city fire department let Gene Cranick’s doublewide trailer home burn last week because he didn’t pay the subscription common in many rural areas.
Cranick’s home is outside city limits, but South Fulton offers fire protection to nearby residents for a fee and did protect a neighboring house that paid.
Police say Cranick’s son was so angry he later went to the fire house and punched the chief.
Sounds like good old civic responsibility to me. New England towns used to have the same rule. We should apply this to health insurance, too.