Last year we lost Henry, the best cat ever – EVER!- to a flea-treatment poisoning, ADVANTAGE. Yesterday afternoon, against my own advice, his replacement had a flea collar affixed and within just a few hours I found the poor guy literally foaming from the mouth – huge gobs of frothy, bubbling saliva. Not a good sign, I figured, so collar was yanked off and, as of this morning, everything seems okay.
(UPDATE, 1:45 PM: he ate breakfast this morning and as I write this, he’s sleeping at my feet, so all is good)
I assume that the manufacturers of these things don’t intend to poison our pets but even if they kill off just one in a million, if your pet’s that one, it doesn’t really matter what the safety statistics are. I’ll put up with the occasional flea, thank you, and stay off Hartz Mountain.