A couple were left shocked when workmen accidentally threw away their bespoke ‘kitchen for life’ worth almost £10,000, after binmen mistook it for rubbish.
Julie Martin, 51, and partner Kevin McKeith, 53, were having some new electrical wire installed in their house in South Shields, Newcastle, when they realised their kitchen fittings had been taken away to the tip, leaving their expensive kitchen a gutted husk.
The contractors had taken down all of the kitchen units, cupboards and surfaces in order to fit the wiring in the walls, and placed them at the back of the house – only for binmen to take them away.
Here in the promised land, cabinets costing less than $100,000 are considered kindling, not “bespoke for life” treasure. Except in my house.