We do have internet!

Although it’s far too beautiful up here to spend much time indoors. I’ll be posting a picture later of the latest green folly, a row of 400-foot-tall windmills on the crest of the mountains, utterly transforming the view and, I’m told, producing a total kilowatt output sufficient to charge three Tesla’s and a Chevy Volt. Funny thing: although, as a general rule, greens hate “technology”, they’ll bow to its wrath if demanded by Earth Goddess Gaia. “But they’re windmills”, the head of the National Resource Defense Council told one resident, who sought his organization’s help blocking this project. Says it all.

Update from John:

Camp Cancer Report

“My friends! I have been adventuring.

I so wish that I could regale you all with photographic evidence of boats and airplanes and islands and sharks and Southern California beauties, but my phone/camera now runs with the hood rats of Costa Mesa, no doubt staying up well past its bedtime. And so I shall guide you through this recalling of days past using only the power of words! Prepare yourself.

Catalina was a hoot. And warm. And there were palm trees, guys, real ones. I spent four days on the island with a bunch of other cancerheads, swimming among stingrays and sharks, hiking among leftover buffalo, and talking survival tactics. I met some of the most fantastic folks this side of Stage IV. Friends for life. Why do so many awesome people get cancer? Is it healthier to be an asshole? Maybe assholes corner the market on heart disease. Who knows.

Turns out I was the only greenhorn at Cancer Camp. Everyone else was either in the midst of treatment or had already made it through. There were some serious survivors in the mix and it was inspiring. And I learned A LOT. Did you know “night sweats” are a thing? They are totally a thing.

My phone was cast to the tide with appropriate SoCal nonchalance. At first I was upset, but a) cancer!, and b) the phone’s absence eventually led to a spectacular two day extended stay in California. I ate delicious food, played spontaneous music, walked through Buddhist gardens and chased sleazy weasels through the seedier parts of town, all in the company of two of the world’s most gorgeous souls. Those extra days were worth a hundred damn iPhones.

Today was Day 1 of the Chemo. I went in this morning. They stabbed Frank (my chesticle) right in the face! Then Frank (I’ve got him under my skin) sipped on a lovely cocktail of chemicals for about three hours, after which they fashioned me with a fabulous mechanical fanny pack and sent me on my way. While I felt alright for the first few hours, I’ve since transmogrified into Barfatron 4000. It’s not the most fun I’ve ever had, but I’ve whined worse about less, so whatever. Years from now I’ll look back upon these moments with fondness. Remember that time I thought I had to sneeze, and instead blew chunks out both nostrils? Glad I was outside.

The mechanical fanny pack is actually a portable dispenser of liquid chemo justice. He’s part of the deal, 48 hours every two weeks. I’ve named him Tonto, which obviously makes me…wait for it…Chemosabe.

That’s about all I have to say about that.

I love you all. Thank you doesn’t say enough.


Filed under Uncategorized

15 responses to “We do have internet!

  1. Gideon

    Thank you for sharing the update

  2. Mickster

    This too will pass. Loved the Chemosabe line.

  3. Cos Cobber

    Terrific update. John’s courage and zest is inspirational. And he’s rather handy wih a pen too, which is nice.

  4. Cobra

    Keep the updates comin’!

  5. anonymouse

    John – I don’t know you, but I love you! Thanks for the update and the laugh. Good luck with your treatments, hoping that all goes well…prayers being sent your way, buddy. Peace.

  6. Peg

    Just make sure you get no chunks in your sleeping bag, John.

    Great update; keep up the battle!

  7. greenwich dude

    if my kids are that lovely and thoughtful and witty i’ll be a proud dad
    go get ’em, john!

  8. sunbeam43

    What a great guy John is! …..Chris, you raised a very special young man! I don’t know either of you, but my prayers go out to you both!

  9. jB

    There but for the grace of God go I.

    As of last week I am now in remission. Same thing John got but I’m only Stage III. I have 2 rounds or 6 weeks of chemo to go and I’m done. As far as these things go, I got it easy so no complaints here. What John has to go through is far more severe than anything I’ve had to deal with.

    I hope it does the trick for John and he gets past this sooner than later. Good luck, I’ll be pulling for ya.

  10. nutmegger

    Wonderful sense of humor in the face of tough circumstances!

  11. Anonymous

    Thank you for the update.

  12. Anonymous

    And, so happy to hear from John directly. So sorry that he has the barfies,
    but glad to know where he is in the unfortunate journey.

  13. Hanging in Greenwich

    Glad you lost your phone . . . your words tell the story better than any photo ever could.

  14. Anonymous

    This weekend marks one year since I finished my chemo treatments. Lacking the Fountain gift for words, I have struggled with if I should say anything…and if so, what. My chemo journey , like all chemo experiences, was long and challenging. However, the discovery of new friends and the strength of old ones is a part of the journey I am glad I didn’t miss. Keep looking for the positives, small or big. They don’t make the walk easier…but they do make it more pleasant. More practically, hard ginger candy helped with my nausea. (Chimes Ginger chews are for sale on amazon.). Baking Soda and water rinse heled with mouth sores. And if they are really bad ask for an Rx for “magic mouthwash”…it is amazing.